ROLE OF TREE CROPS CULTIVATION ON INCOME GENERATION: FOCUS ON EMPLOYMENT CREATION, IN ISOKO NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF DELTA STATE, NIGERIA
Keywords:Creation, Employment, Generation, Income and Tree
The study assessed the contributions of tree crops to income of rural households in Isoko North of Delta State, Nigeria. A multi-stage sampling procedure was adopted in composing a sample. Data were collected through the use of a structured questionnaire from 288 respondents for this study. The results obtained indicated that oil palm was the most commonly cultivated tree crop in the area (81.25%). Other tree crops grown in the area were; Papaya (69%), coconut (66.67%), rubber (36.11%) among others. The results also showed that tree crops contributed insignificantly to household income. In fact, only about 4.52% of the respondents earn more than 20% of their income from tree crops. Regression result showed that 55% variation in household income from tree crops could be explained by the explanatory variables included in the model while the other 45% was as a result of other factors not specified in the model. The coefficient of sex, education and household size were significant (P<0.01). It was concluded that tree crops contributed little to the households’ income, and it was recommended, among others that concerted efforts should be made by all stakeholders to encourage the large scale production of tree crops, farmers should be encouraged to diversify their sources of income by growing not only food crops, but tree crops. Seminars, workshops and lectures should be organized in order to sensitize the respondents on the importance of growing tree crops.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Journal of Agripreneurship and Sustainable Development
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.